Re: Charging Graduate Student Tuition Costs to NIH Grants Jean C. Linder 13 Apr 2010 12:21 EST

The NIH original notice about Graduate Student
compensation
http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-02-017.html
limits the amount NIH will award to us for graduate
compensation.  However, it also includes the phrase "Institutions may
continue to rebudget funds to charge more than the awarded amount
provided that OMB cost principles requiring reasonable compensation
are observed."  So, this is not like the Salary Cap that limits what
we can pay, it only limits the amount that NIH awards.  I think that
most of our PIs are able to rebudget supply money, etc., to pay the
full amount of salary, benefits, and tuition remission for our grad
students.  -Jean

At 08:54 AM 4/13/2010, you wrote:
>I would like to pose a question to the group regarding how your
>institutions handle the charging of graduate student tuition to NIH
>grants.  As you probably know, NIH limits the total level of
>compensation for graduate students (including salary, fringe
>benefits and tuition) to the salary level of a first year
>postdoctoral fellow (which is currently $37,740). Our University has
>recently begun charging tuition in these cases and our policy has
>been to charge the full amount of allocable salary and fringe
>benefits first and then to charge tuition, up to the amount of the
>NIH cap. So, the tuition charge is less than it would be without the cap.
>
>A question has come up internally as to whether or not it would be
>more appropriate to charge the full amount of the allocable tuition
>first, then charge the salaries and fringe benefits. This would
>involve charging less salary and fringe benefit costs than would
>normally be the case due to the NIH cap.
>
>How does your institution handle these charges? Which area, salary
>and fringe benefits or tuition, is reduced due to the cap? What
>advantages or disadvantages have you found from using your system.
>
>All on or off line responses will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
>
>Paul Hudobenko
>University of Connecticut Health Center
>(860) 679-3951

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 Jean C. Linder
 Contract & Grant Officer
 Univ. of California, San Diego
 Ofc. of Contract & Grant Admin.     voice:  (858) 534-0244
 9500 Gilman Drive, 0934               fax:  (858) 534-0280
 La Jolla, CA 92093-0934         e-mail:  xxxxxx@ucsd.edu

 OVERNIGHT MAIL DELIVERY ADDRESS:
 10300 North Torrey Pines Road, Second Floor
 La Jolla, CA 92037

 OCGA Web Site:  http://ocga.ucsd.edu