Re: NIH considering eliminating correction window, seeking comments Charlie Hathaway 17 Mar 2010 12:59 EST

Hi-

While it seems that most people responding seem
to like NIH's idea of abolishing the
post-deadline correction window, there have been
some good points presented arguing why the change
is ill-conceived, or at least fraught with danger.

I think NIH is proposing this primarily to 1)
save time and money generally but also 2) create
a "fair and consistent submission deadline"
WITHOUT having to spend tons of money enforcing
the rules about what gets changed
post-deadline.  The latter would require way too
many human hours for NIH to do the police
work.  Their argument that this will reduce time
to process applications etc etc isn't so convincing.

Some have suggested alternatives (add-ons) to the
complete abolishment of the correction
window.  Some of these sounded good but I think
many were based on the particular view of
internal submission procedures from one
institution's perspective.  We differ a lot in
how we navigate the NIH submission
process.  Consider the variations in internal
deadlines, how much of an application we review
in order to approve it, if the PIs can submit
their own proposals after internal approval, time
zones (does Commons handle questions at 7:45 EST
for people in Oregon as well as handle my New
York questions at 4:45?), the knowledge and skill
of the PIs and administrators assembling and
checking proposals, and related, as Bob
mentioned, if applicants have really good
pre-proposal error checking.  The latter is
important.  S2S gadgets are great but don't cover
100% of problems.  As Steve has just mentioned,
Adobe forms may need much much better error pick-up.

I think this argues for NIH not trying to second
guess our internal processes and just applying a
simple, but very "tough love" approach.

As for the conceptualization of "deadlines"...the
term originates from prisons where inmates were
shot (dead) if they crossed a line.  For the
warden, it was clear and simple (and
economical?).  For the prisoners, it also had to
be understood clearly but the issues were more
complex:  how close does one get to that
line?    Sorry for this analogy but I think the
challenge for us is to create internal processes
that keep people from crossing the line or at
least becoming very aware of the consequences if they slip.

Charlie