Re: NIH Research Diversity Supplement - Letter from Institution other than Grantee Institution? Charlie Hathaway 24 Feb 2010 21:56 EST

The other place (i.e. PI) is submitting; money goes to the existing R01.
But YOUR faculty member is the diversity target and his/her work will be
done at YOUR school?  If so, why not just a letter describing the
arrangement (money, work, communications, etc) with all 3 people signing
(agreeing), or even 4 if you want to have business officials from both
institutions.

CH

> Hi, folks.
>
> I'm helping a faculty member prepare an application in response to NIH
PA-08-190<http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-08-190.html>
"Research Supplements to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research."
The supplement is being requested under an active R01 held by another
institution.

> The PA states that if any of the research is to be conducted at a site
other than the grantee institution, an appropriately signed letter from
the institution where the research is to be conducted must be submitted.
The request must be signed by the candidate (my faculty member), the
Principal Investigator (the PI on the R01 at the other institution), and
the appropriate institutional business official.

> It not clear to me what the "appropriately signed letter" from our
institution should contain in this instance.  At first blush, I'd think
it
> was a standard institutional letter of intent or commitment that would
normally accompany a subaward proposal, but the fact that the letter
appears to require signature by the candidate, et al, is throwing me
off.