Re: Relationship of PI to grantee institution Glen Clarke 09 Feb 2010 15:37 EST

Charlie,

A-110.21 (b) (3) requires that the grantee institution provide:  "Effective control over and accountability for all funds, property and other assets. Recipients shall adequately safeguard all such assets and assure they are used solely for authorized purposes."  This is under Standards for Financial Management but the "authorized purposes" phrase implies that there is a programmatic aspect to this control and accountability.  I'm not aware of anything that specifies how the institution assures that the PI will adequately safeguard assets, merely that the institution must exert effective control.

Glen

Glen C. Clarke
Associate Director
Research and Sponsored Programs Office
SUNY Cortland
(607) 753-2511
fax:  (607) 753-5590
xxxxxx@cortland.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of Charlie Hathaway
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 1:32 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Relationship of PI to grantee institution

[related to Pam's question...]

Can anyone direct me to federal regulations covering the relationship
that should exist between an individual researcher and the
institution that is awarded a grant to facilitate the individual's work?

Does the grantee organization simply guarantee that all its PIs are
responsible and accountable to it?

thanks

Charlie Hathaway