Re: NIH Other Support David Ngo 12 Jan 2010 18:24 EST

Hello -

I believe you will want to have the PI list all effort commitments on
the other support document.  The effort commitments can have different
funding sources (sponsor funded, cost share funded, etc...).  In any
event, they are commitments that are binding regardless of how the PI is
compensated.

I'm told from the sponsor perspective...one reason they request all
commitments be listed, is for the agency to get an idea of the PI's
cumulative research activities and to see if the PI has time available
-- ex: how close to 100% are they?

A recent NSF OIG effort audit had a finding that the PI "failed to
disclose to the government the full extent of her various active
research projects" and that the "college knew or should have known that
its employee failed to fully disclose her active research projects in
the grant applications submitted to the government such that her
research commitments exceeded 100% of her available time".  The PI had
not fully disclosed that all her research projects exceeded 100% in
grant applications submitted to NIH and DOD.

Hope this helps...

Best Rgds,
David Ngo | UW Effort Team | RSP

>>> Vicki Krell <xxxxxx@ASU.EDU> 1/12/2010 3:22 PM >>>