Re: Funding searches Chris Thompson 03 Dec 2009 17:06 EST

Shea,

I would recommend IRIS which is a product developed and supported within the
research community. It's a University of Illinois system that's reasonably
priced and according to them impeccably sourced.

I used to work for InfoEd and I can say it's also reasonably priced but I
can't speak to the quality of the data but I'm quite sure there are plenty
of SPIN users here who can.

COS is the most expensive (last I knew) and has by far the most records but
I've heard complaints that there are quite a few duplicates and records that
are not appropriate to the searches.

All three of these products have similar functionality and slightly outdated
interfaces but given the lack of complexity involved that doesn't present a
huge issue.

The Sci-Val product is far more up to date having seen it in action at NCURA
but I only saw a demo and don't know about the quality of the records.
Hopefully someone else here has more experience with it.

We (Moderas) are working on a add-on for the new Kuali Coeus offering that
will insert the results of selected opportunities directly into a proposal
record. I mention this as I know Dartmouth is a current Coeus user. I should
mention in the spirit of full disclosure that we're striving to have IRIS as
one of the possible sources in our search tool (we're starting out with
Grants.Gov and GrantsNet) and we're talking to El Sevier about Sci-Val as well.

Best Regards,
Chris

Phone: 518.698.2446
Email: xxxxxx@moderas.org