Re: NTEE and NPC codes Richard Ray 07 Oct 2009 17:12 EST

It did state that at one point in time, but it has since been re-revised
on 09/25/09 to say "and" (btw, the NIH guidance was again revised
09/30/09):

NTEE stands for the National Taxonomy of Exempt Entities, a
classification system for categorizing the activities and purposes of
nonprofit organizations.
NPC is the Nonprofit Program Classification system used for categorizing
the programs of the organizations. Although the NCCS code descriptions
refer to "organizations" and "programs," the OMB Data Model does
indicate that the code selected should be that which best describes the
Recovery Act project or activity under a specific award.

For both NPC and NTEE codes, NIH anticipates most ARRA grantees would
use a code within the Major Category titled Health, subcategory
H-Medical Research. The NPC code **K - Research & Public Policy Analysis
might also be appropriate.

Acceptable entries for an NIH ARRA grant focused on breast cancer
research might be one or more of the following NPC codes: H01 (Medical
Research General/Other), H02 (Diseases and Disorders Research), H02.04
(Cancer Research), H02.04.03 (Women's Cancer Research), or **K -
Research & Public Policy Analysis. Acceptable NTEE codes might include:
H- NTEE (Medical Research), H30 - NTEE (Cancer Research), or H32 - NTEE
(Breast Cancer Research).