Re: friday fun (not really) Nate Martinez-Wayman 28 Sep 2009 15:16 EST

Round 1, from today's DHHS OIG update.  Much more fun to follow.

National Institutes of Health-Internal Control Review of the Process for
Awarding American Recovery and Reinvestment Act Funds (A-05-09-00064)
http://www.oig.hhs.gov/oas/reports/region5/50900064.pdf

Our review found that the National Institutes of Health's (NIH) internal
controls for awarding American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009
(Recovery Act) funds to grantees, as described by management, were
suitably designed to provide reasonable assurance that the specified
internal control objectives would be achieved if the described internal
controls were complied with satisfactorily and applied as designed.
However, we did not perform procedures to determine the operating
effectiveness of these internal controls.  Accordingly, we express no
opinion on the operating effectiveness of any aspects of NIH's internal
controls for awarding Recovery Act funds, individually or in the
aggregate.

Nate Martinez-Wayman
Effort Manager
Office of Research Administration
Duke University School of Medicine
e xxxxxx@duke.edu
w http://research.som.duke.edu

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 16:19:59 -0400, Theresa Defino <xxxxxx@AOL.COM> wrote:

>Apparently (dare I say a Republican) Congress(man) is already trying to
hammer NIH on how it's allocating ARRA funds.?