Re: "Service Centers" Katherine Tragos 28 Aug 2009 13:29 EST

Greetings,

Great example and details.

It is not a sponsored program, it is a "service" and paperwork/contract
may go through Business Affairs as opposed to Research. It is no
different than-- as your example--  buying a physical product.

You may ask the specific Center the question as well.  Usually they know
what involves research and what they feel is a service.

One concern may be IP.  Here is where your PI again comes in as the
Subject matter expert who may assure you, or state in an email for your
backup, if you prefer, that the 'service' is nothing more than that.

Service centers usually have their own set rates.

I used to work in the business end before crossing over to research.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Kathy