Re: Consultant THEN employee? Sandra Nordahl 21 Aug 2009 15:01 EST

Carol,

I think your biggest issue is having the ability to defend why their
status changed.  The IRS really scrutinizes individual who have a 1099
and a W2 from the same organization in the same year.  I would think
this would be an audit concern with the funding agencies as well.  You
would need to be able to justify why it was proposed one way, spent the
same way and then changed employment status of the individual.  Goes
back to consistency in costing.

Best of Luck,
Sandra

Sandra M. Nordahl, CRA
Manager, Sponsored Research Administration
San Diego State University Research Foundation
5250 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA  92182-1934
619.594.4172 (voice)
619.582.9164 (fax)
e-mail:  xxxxxx@foundation.sdsu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Lesley Zajac
Sent: Friday, August 21, 2009 12:44 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Consultant THEN employee?

If the consulting has already stopped and the person applies through
your regular competitive hiring practice, I don't see why you could not
hire him/her.  I am assuming you mean as a regular employee with
benefits and not as a short-term contractor?

Lesley S. Zajac
Director, Research Administration
Jaeb Center for Health Research
15310 Amberly Drive, Ste 350