Re: T32 predoc working on mentor's research Barbara DeHaven 01 Jul 2009 15:45 EST

As an added thought.....although it would be normal to see some difference
between a mentor's focus and the predoc's area of interest, why would the
predoc choose the PI as a mentor if their interests didn't coincide?  It
seems unlikely that spending time on the mentor's project(s) would not
accrue benefit for the mentee and the development of their dissertation.

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of
Long, Katherine
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 4:20 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] T32 predoc working on mentor's research

I would expect that it is up to T32 Program Director (PI) to determine
whether the mentor's research constitutes the "supervised research training"
of the program.  If it does, then the student is refusing to be trained.
From the NIH policy statement:
"Trainees appointed to the training program must have the opportunity to
carry out supervised biomedical or behavioral research with the primary
objective of developing or extending their research skills and knowledge in
preparation for a research career... Research trainees are expected to
devote full time to the proposed research training, devoting at least 40
hours per week to the program."