Re: T32 predoc working on mentor's research Cappellucci, James E. 01 Jul 2009 14:51 EST

Interesting. I would like to see responses on this, too.

James Cappellucci
Sr. Grant Administrator, Grants & Contracts
Partners Healthcare/Massachusetts General Hospital
101 Huntington Avenue, 3rd Floor, Suite 300
Boston, MA  02199
Phone 617-954-9858
Fax:    617-954-9850
Main:  617-954-9309
xxxxxx@partners.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of
Lynne Brody
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 3:19 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] T32 predoc working on mentor's research

I have a T32 question.  Usually predocs appointed to our T32 training
grants work on their mentor's research project and develop their
dissertation as an offshoot of the mentor's research, based what they
learn from the mentor. However, we have a predoc appointed to a T32 who
is refusing to work on his mentor's research. The student states that
the T32 appointment guarantees protected time only for dissertation
research and that working on the mentor's project isn't protected time.
I can't find any policies about protected time on T32s.  Thoughts?

dispose of the e-mail.