Re: AREA Grant Letter of Support Question Laura Letbetter 18 Jun 2009 09:41 EST

For the cover letter component of the application itself, you can do this:

NIH Division of Receipt and Referral (DRR)
Center for Scientific Review (CSR)

Dear Colleagues:

However, this is just for the cover letter that requests a certain
institute and/or study section. This should come from the PI, not from an
administrator.

For a letter of support from an administrator that you include as an
attachment to the application," I would not recommend "to whom it may
concern," or addressing it to the program officer or to the review panel.
Instead, I'd recommend addressing it from the letter writer (president,
provost, dean, etc.) to the PI, as in "Dear Professor Plum, I support your
project, your research is consistent with the mission of our
College/University, I look forward to learning of further developments,
etc." Think of a letter of support as a piece of evidence documenting that
the PI has administrative support, not as a sales pitch to a P.O. or a
review panel.

Laura Letbetter
Director, Proposal Development and Programmatic Research
Office of Grants and Contracts
Kennesaw State University
1000 Chastain Road, Mailstop 0111
Kennesaw, GA 30144