Re: Senior/Key Person BUG Mccauley, Paula M 05 Jun 2009 10:12 EST

My experience was only with the budget form. It may not work on the main page. Sorry!

Paula McCauley-Shelton, B.A.

Grants Manager

UAMS Department of Pediatrics

Grants Administration MS 512-1

501-364-2368 Phone

501-364-4656 Fax

xxxxxx@uams.edu

*NEW*  We've Moved! The Pediatric Grants Administration group is now located on the 3rd floor of the ACHRI Building.

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of Bob Beattie
Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 9:58 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Senior/Key Person BUG

This is a terrible flaw in the system that has been knowN to
Grants.gov for at least 6 months but they refuse to fix it.   I do
not believe that Paula's suggestion will work in this case.  There at
two options.
1. Start over
2.  fill in NA's in all the yellow fields or use xxxxxx@xxx.edu for the
email, and attach a biosketch that says "there is no additional
person but the system is flawed and will not allow me to delete this
entry."  Sloppy but quick.  I suspect most PI's will not want to do
this.

Maybe if all 2000 some members of this listserv would send an
"enhancemenet" form, G.g will get the message that this needs
fixing.  Hardly a real enhancement more of a fix the bug situation.
This is a Word document that you can fill in.

http://www.grants.gov/assets/CustomerEnhancementForm.doc

I sent the following text to the previous Director of Grants.gov and
he said he would fix it, about a month before he was removed.

"The problem occurs on the Research and Related Senior Key Personnel
page.  There is a field,  a pull down list, "Project Role" that
cannot be emptied once it has a selection picked.   I entered a Key
Person who then dropped out of the project.
I emptied all the fields but could not delete the information in this
field.  This is a required field, so if there is an entry, then all
the other fields have yellow boxes.  With these yellow boxes there
cannot be a validation.  Without validation, the application cannot
be submitted.

One easy way to fix it is to have a "blank" option among the pull
down choices.  This is done above, with the State pull down list.
Perhaps a "delete entry" can be added.  If there is more than one Key
Person, there is a "delete entry," so you can delete all but
the last Key Person.'

Bob
------------------------------
Robert Beattie
UMich e-Business Point of Contact
UMich Grants.gov Liaison
Managing Senior Project Representative for Electronic Research
Administration
Division of Research Development and Administration
University of Michigan
xxxxxx@umich.edu   (734) 936-1283

On Jun 5, 2009, at 10:22 AM, Mccauley, Paula M wrote:

Try putting your curser in that Project Role (even though it's a drop
down list, it should allow you to do this) and just back space. It
should delete the project role. I spent about 15 minutes on a
subaward budget that did the same thing, and that's how I got it to
clear out so that I could proceed to other areas of the application.
Good luck!