Re: Grants.gov vs Fastlane Greene, Susan A 04 Jun 2009 12:21 EST

The majority of our PIs choose S2S over Fastlane.

Susan A. Greene
MUSC, Research & Sponsored Programs
843-792-2040

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of Nancy Anderson
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 1:04 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] FW: [RESADM-L] Grants.gov vs Fastlane

-----Original Message-----
From: Grants.gov list for System-to-System Info [mailto:xxxxxx@LIST.NIH.GOV] On Behalf Of Roger Wood
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 10:01 AM
To: xxxxxx@LIST.NIH.GOV
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Grants.gov vs Fastlane

Support for System-to-System submissions is a key element that Grants.gov
supports that is not supported by FastLane.

(1) institutions can achieve very similar functionality to that provided by
FastLane if they choose to use a system-to-system (S2S) approach rather than
the Adobe forms solution provided directly by Grants.gov. This includes
virtually everything that has been mentioned as an advantage of FastLane in
the recent emails. (Note that this still does NOT include support for linked
proposals as mentioned by Terri previously - that is a known gap in the
Grants.gov data model.)

(2) institutions "own their own data" - proposal data are entered into
institutional systems and therefore are available for institutional
reporting without having to re-key data entered into FastLane into an
internal tracking & reporting system.

There is nothing inherent that would limit the ability for a FastLane-like
system to also allow for S2S functionality, but that doesn't exist now for
FastLane.

Thanks,
Roger