Re: Grants.gov vs Fastlane Trish Brock 04 Jun 2009 11:59 EST

Charlie -

I like Fastlane better because,

1.)  I don't have to re-enter my AOR information everything I submit a proposal.

2.)  I don't have to re-enter all the PI information everytime.

3.)  Fastlane pulls the information on budgets and such together better.

4.)  As someone else mentioned multiple people can work at once, which in quite a few cases at my previous institution was the ONLY reason we met a deadline, especially when Fastlane used to be as slow as grants.gov can be.

5.)  Fastlane is pretty darn intuitive.  I started working in Fastlane with very little (read no) training, and no special software.  I suspect a freshman in college generally has the skills to upload to Fastlane.

Grants.gov is getting better, and it is much less painful once you know how to use it, but the learning curve has been pretty steep.  Also without buy-in, and with so many differing tweaks on teh application, the only part that I feel is truly standard, is the 424, which is full of info that Fastlane knows for me.

Basically, I can upload and submit somewhere around four Fastlane proposals in one day from scratch, but I find that is much more difficult to do with grants.gov.

Thanks for collecting these!
Trish Brock
Grants Analyst
Grants Development Office