Re: NIH submission: file names with spaces or special characters Richard Chiriatti 29 May 2009 08:10 EST

I have submitted dozens of g.g applications with spaces in the file name
attachments and never had a problem.....until earlier this month.

Without going through all the details of my two week ordeal with the g.g
help desk folks, here's the bottom line that resolved the problem and
finally got the application submitted:

We removed the spaces and special characters from the pdf file names and
the app was still rejected.  We emailed the entire app to the g.g help
desk person (and his supervisor).  They went through the entire package
and could find nothing wrong with it.  They finally escalated the
problem to their IT research staff.

After two weeks, the solution:   The original WORD document must be free
of all spaces and special characters, BEFORE converting the file to a
PDF file.  Evidently, if you remove the spaces and special characters
after creating the PDF file, those spaces and special characters are
still embedded in the PDF file somewhere and can cause the app to be
rejected.

My best to the list,
Rich

Richard Chiriatti, CRA
Associate Director
Office of Sponsored Programs
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research
9 Cambridge Center, Room 209
Cambridge, MA  02142-1401
Phone: (617) 258-5018
Fax: (617) 258-8848