Re: FICA on student housing? Surprenant, James M. 28 Apr 2009 09:03 EST

Strictly my opinion as its been years since I've worked as a tax professional,
but...

A) FICA is typically assessed against non-cash earned income or fringe benefits
such as housing.  The value of the housing would be 'imputed income' - in other
words, you would calculate the FMV of the housing and use that figure to
calculate social security taxes to be withheld on it.  (Income tax is not
withheld on imputed income.)

However...

B) It sounds like this would qualify as a student exemption to FICA - check out
IRS Pub 17 - you can find the relevant section I'm thinking about here:
http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=120663,00.html

Best of luck,
James

JAMES M. SURPRENANT, MBA