Re: IDC on non-federal contracts - any flexibility based on regs? Gregory K. Schmidt 19 Apr 2009 13:16 EST

Back in the day I used both on and off campus accounts with different rates
as a matter of routine.  All faculty and researchers were charged to the
on-campus account unless they were on leave or assigned to the off-campus
facility by their dean.

The materials and services were charged to the account where the person
ordering was charged.  It takes a bit of effort to keep track of this, but
it's the best way we could come with at the time to make sure that
researchers wouldn't attempt to take advantage of the lowered off-campus F&A
rate.  Not that they'd ever do that!

A good policy statement should help out a  lot in terms of defining what
constitutes off-campus research.  One school defined it as off the main
campus in non-university facilities.  Another extreme was over 50% effort
occurring more than 50 miles from campus in a facility not owned by the
university for more than one year.  If it failed one or more of these, it
was on-campus full F&A rate.

Greg Schmidt

GKS Consulting, LLC
703-346-5696

This information is intended for the named recipient only and may contain
confidential/privileged material.  Review, dissemination, or use of, or
reliance on this information by others is prohibited.  If received in error,
please contact xxxxxx@verizon.net and delete.