Re: Grant writer regulation? UNRESOLVED Dawnmarie DeFazio 01 Apr 2009 08:30 EST

Those who aren't in CA - are GLAD!!!
The regulations are going to overwhelm us - 10 days to for stimulus
etc.
Oh well - job security right!?!?!?!

>>> On 4/1/2009 at 8:53 AM, in message
<xxxxxx@mail.gmail.com>, Jim
Austin

https://www.niac.org/Documents/DocumentRetrieve.cfm?q_DocumentID=148&UploadDo

> cClass=DynamicContent
>
> Lots of provisions that affect commercial fundraisers. What's not
clear is
> why any of this makes it harder to work with clients outside of
California.

http://ag.ca.gov/charities/publications/nonprofit_integrity_act_nov04.pdf

>> The only reference I found to grants in this act relates to
maintaining an
>> audit committee and excluded grants received from governmental
agencies.  No
>> where do I see reference to Grant Writers.  If any of you see
different, let
>> me know.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Diane

Behalf
>> Of Charlie Hathaway
>> Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 7:35 AM
>> To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
>> Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Grant writer regulation? UNRESOLVED
>>
>> OK OK.  Here's what happened....
>>
>> I was looking for potential grant writing consultants and came upon
this
>> small group in California.  Their web site said they took clients
from
>> California.  I asked if they would take jobs from New York and was
told
>> the stuff about AGs and registration fees.  I argued a little but he
was
>> insistent. So I posted to the list. (None of this was April 1
related).

>> I sent a second email to the guy and told him that many of my
colleagues
>> were very suspicious.  Here is his reply:
>>
>> "Tell them to come to California and we will give them a real
education.
>> Schools, Colleges and Churches are EXEMPT from the reporting
regulations in
>> California but Grant Writers are not.  See Non-Profit Integrity Act
of
>> 2004.
>> I hope you check our professional association website for a
Consultant
>> living in New York.  Good luck!"
>>
>> I give up.
>>
>> Charlie
>>

>> > Where did you hear this?  It's beyond bizarre.  Who would care?
>> >
>> > Spanky

AG of
>> the State in which the 501 is based and must pay a registration fee
>> for
>> > that
>> > State.
>> >
>> > so...if I, in NY, want to hire grant writer Bob in CA, Bob needs
to be
>> concerned that "The NON-RESIDENT FEE for Grant Writers serving
clients
>> in New York
>> > State is currently $1,000 and the 501 would be required to file
both a
>> NY and a California Tax Return."
>> >
>> > Is this true?
>> >
>> > Now I'm wondering how a grant writing Ponzi scheme works.
>> >
>> > Charlie

available
>> via our web site at http://www.hrinet.org (click on "Listserv
Lists")