Re: Grant writer regulation? UNRESOLVED Vincent, Diane 01 Apr 2009 07:42 EST

Hello all,

I found this link that shows what the Non-profit Integrity Act of 2004 is all about:

http://ag.ca.gov/charities/publications/nonprofit_integrity_act_nov04.pdf

The only reference I found to grants in this act relates to maintaining an audit committee and excluded grants received from governmental agencies.  No where do I see reference to Grant Writers.  If any of you see different, let me know.

Thanks,

Diane

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of Charlie Hathaway
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 7:35 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Grant writer regulation? UNRESOLVED

OK OK.  Here's what happened....

I was looking for potential grant writing consultants and came upon this
small group in California.  Their web site said they took clients from
California.  I asked if they would take jobs from New York and was told
the stuff about AGs and registration fees.  I argued a little but he was
insistent. So I posted to the list. (None of this was April 1 related).

I sent a second email to the guy and told him that many of my colleagues
were very suspicious.  Here is his reply:

"Tell them to come to California and we will give them a real education.
Schools, Colleges and Churches are EXEMPT from the reporting regulations in
California but Grant Writers are not.  See Non-Profit Integrity Act of 2004.
I hope you check our professional association website for a Consultant
living in New York.  Good luck!"

I give up.

Charlie

> Where did you hear this?  It's beyond bizarre.  Who would care?
>
> Spanky

Behalf
> Of
> Charlie Hathaway
> Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 3:48 PM
> To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
> Subject: [RESADM-L] Grant writer regulation?
>
> I was just told that the states attorneys general now regulate the grant
writing industry and all services performed by
> "non-employees" of a 501c3 must be on a Contract approved by the AG of
the State in which the 501 is based and must pay a registration fee
for
> that
> State.
>
> so...if I, in NY, want to hire grant writer Bob in CA, Bob needs to be
concerned that "The NON-RESIDENT FEE for Grant Writers serving clients
in New York
> State is currently $1,000 and the 501 would be required to file both a
NY and a California Tax Return."