Re: continuation fee under R36 Elise Mills 23 Mar 2009 14:05 EST

I am not familiar with R36, but we have a fee at UC Berkeley called a
"filing fee" that is meant for graduate students who have advanced to
candidacy and completed all requirements for degree, except filing
thesis (Master's or Ph.D.) - it is not a form or equivalent to
registration - only allows the student to continue to be eligible to
submit/file thesis - it is also a fee paid to the school, not the student.

We do not consider this as part of the regular "fringe benefits" that go
along with a full graduate research employee appointment - it does not
necessarily benefit the research project in any direct way. This fee is
an aid to the student for his/her completion of degree.