Re: Benefits Accrual and Use on Sponsored Projects Whitlock, Pam 19 Mar 2009 19:22 EST

amen.  we've been fighting for years over this!  pam
Pamela B. Whitlock, Director
Office of Sponsored Programs
University of North Carolina at Wilmington
601 S. College Road
Wilmington, NC  28403-5973
V 910 962 3167
F 10 962 4011
________________________________
From: Research Administration List [xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of Wilma Ennenga [xxxxxx@NAU.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:55 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Benefits Accrual and Use on Sponsored Projects

I am concerned about benefit accrual policies that allow employees to take their accumulated leave with them to new positions within the university (including sponsored projects) which then become responsible for their cumulative benefits. Obviously this can be a significant cost to a sponsored project if a terminating employee has significant leave balances, and the grant may even be paying for benefits that might have been accrued in a state-funded position prior to the employee assuming his/her current position.

If your university has a leave accrual and use policy for sponsored projects that addresses the situation I’ve described above, I would very much appreciate a copy (and just in case there is broad interest in this topic, to avoid all the “me too’s” that might follow this posting, will you post your responses to the list serve?).

Thanks very much,

Winnie

Wilma G. (Winnie) Ennenga
Director, Office of Grant and Contract Services
Northern Arizona University
Applied Research and Development Bldg. #56, Suite 240
1298 South Knoles Drive
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-4130

Telephone: 928/523-8319
Fax: 928/523-1075

====================================================================== Instructions on how to use the RESADM-L Mailing List, including subscription information and a web-searchable archive, are available via our web site at http://www.hrinet.org (click on "Listserv Lists") ======================================================================