Re: help with grants.gov Dimmitt, Robert 18 Mar 2009 09:49 EST

Good morning everyone.

Yesterday I wrote the list with this error as I sat on hold with grants.gov.  I was told by g.g to redo the package because someone must have saved it in an unsupported version.  I was specifically told that I had to build the package in 8.1.3.  Knowing that this was an outdated script that the person was reading off of, I pushed back with the logical question, "don't you mean a supported version of adobe?"  I was then told no, it had to be 8.1.3.  Kicker is, as I am sure many places are like this, we no longer have version 8 on any of our machines.

Given all this, and the wisdom from all of you, I just completely ignored g.g and marked the exact same application as a change/corrected and resubmitted.  I made absolutely no other changes and it went through to the commons with only warnings.

I am convinced that this is an error that is a grants.gov problem.  The unfortunate part is that once we go through all of their paces of re-downloading the package and then resubmitting, it goes through ok.  This is seen, in the eyes of grants.gov, as a validation of their "fix".  It is like banging your head against a brick wall and then, when it starts bleeding you stop and put a band aid on the cut.  Fact is, when the bleeding stops, it isn't because of the band-aid, it is because you STOPPED BANGING YOUR HEAD!!!

Ok, I feel better now...

Rob Dimmitt

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of Francis, Richard A.
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 10:18 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] help with grants.gov

Before you redo an entire application, try clearing any YELLOWS in the
detailed budget forms -- even if NOT required, and still over on the
LEFT side of the form!  Worked for us yesterday, and it makes some
sense. Those are the fields referred to in the error messages.

Rick Francis, Ph.D.
Director, Research Information Services
Research and Sponsored Programs
The University of Toledo