Re: Contracting for Classified Work - Co-Prime? Jean C. Linder 10 Mar 2009 18:09 EST

Carol-  I can't help with the co-prime issue, but I know the
University of California has had similar situations where the
research will not be classified, but the PI must be eligible for a
security clearance.  In these rare cases, we are advised that any
security clearance application/administration should NOT go through
UC (i.e., it should be an application by the PI personally to the
agency).  Maybe that would work for you, and avoid the complication
of multiple parties being involved. -Jean

At 03:46 PM 3/9/2009, you wrote:
>Classified work and security clearances are new to me but may come up more
>and more so this is probably the first of many questions to you wise and
>wonderful people!
>
>For this question, we are reviewing a proposed project - would be a federal
>contract not a grant - where the work isn't classified but at least one key
>personnel must hold a security clearance in order to attend required
>meetings.
>In this case, the organization that will do most of the work - the
>University -
>will not hold the security clearance for the PI so we have to go through the
>non-profit foundation.  It has been suggested to me that we could have a Co-
>Prime agreement where the non-profit is responsible only for the security
>clearance and any and all pieces and costs that go along with that while the
>University is then assigned everything else.  This would avoid issues
>surrounding setting up a subcontract with the University for the majority of
>the work.
>
>While I did not know a Co-Prime arrangement was allowed, I am assured that
>under contracts, it is acceptable.  So my question is this: Has anyone dealt
>with a Co-Prime agreement?  If so, or if not but you've gone through
>discussions, would you please share what you found to be pros and cons and
>how you got everyone to agree on the division of tasks?
>
>Thanks so much!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 Jean C. Linder
 Contract & Grant Officer
 Univ. of California, San Diego
 Ofc. of Contract & Grant Admin.     voice:  (858) 534-0244
 9500 Gilman Drive, 0934               fax:  (858) 534-0280
 La Jolla, CA 92093-0934         e-mail:  xxxxxx@ucsd.edu

 OVERNIGHT MAIL DELIVERY ADDRESS:
 10300 North Torrey Pines Road, Second Floor
 La Jolla, CA 92037

 OCGA Web Site:  http://ocga.ucsd.edu