Re: Trouble with Grants.gov Foster, Kathleen C 04 Mar 2009 12:01 EST

Bob,

I'm sorry I didn't see your posting about the false credentials message.
That would certainly have saved me a lot of angst!  Thanks for your
thoughts on the situation.

Kathleen

Kathleen Foster
Director, Research Systems and Funding Information
Office of Sponsored Programs
Boston University

p: 617.353.4365
f: 617.353.6660

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Bob Beattie
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 11:37 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Trouble with Grants.gov

Let me add a few comments to this discussion.  We too are have problems,
but as I have said in the past, we can submit quite nicely until 11am.
27 so far today.  25 yesterday, but also in the afternoon so we got 40
in altogether.  Afternoon submission took 4-5 trys.

I thought I had written earlier, warning people to ignore that false
credentials message.  That is just part of the system user id overload.
There is no excuse for it, but it can be ignored.  I got it 2 or 3 times
yesterday,  once I ran out of the 3 allowed tries.  I just closed the
application and opened and tried again.  All of our AORs have the
same password -- an institutional password,  not a personal one.
Thus, I am not going to change anything for anyone.   I have come to
realize that the Help Desk does not really understand what is going on.
They do not submit applications, nor know how the
system works.   They are just contractors with scripts to resolve
simple problems.  We all on this listserv are much more knowledgeable
than any of them.

I suggest that there are no tricks or changes that will help us get
application into the system at this time.  Just open the file, save and
submit, and if you are lucky you will hit an opening.  If not, try
again.  I believe the Grants.gov staff are working with their
consultants from
General Dynamics Information Technology to improve the process.
Perhaps the GDIT folks did not realize what a pain using Adobe Forms
would be when they got the contract back in 2006.  Still, we expect
them to meet the demands.   A statement from them on why
they cannot would be nice, but better to just fix the thing.

It might be unfair to say that the big system fix in early February
"hasn't fixed the problem in any way. It seems worse than ever."  We are
not now getting all those pesky false errors such that we did not know
if the application got to the sponsor or not.  I have noticed an
improvement in submission speed, however, only before 11am :(  The error
checking process now seems to find real errors.  This morning we got a
rejection because there were 1000 participant/trainees listed in an R01
subaward budget.  That has been the only rejection in the past couple of
weeks, compared to the almost every submission prior to the big fix.

I like Kathleen's point in the last paragraph that some drastic
"thinking out of the box" is needed.  In the meantime, as we all focus
on the submission delays, we are not thinking about all the other issues
that need to resolved.  Wouldn't we like to print an entire application,
with all budget years, for example.
There are other such changes that we need, too.   Keep thinking about
what you want the system to do, besides be faster.

Luckily NIH has been very flexible in helping us deal with the
submission delays.  By their next deadline, there will be new forms, and
there must be improvements in capacity.

Bob
------------------------------
Robert Beattie
UMICH eBusiness Point of Contact
University of Michigan
xxxxxx@umich.edu   (734) 936-1283

On Mar 4, 2009, at 10:23 AM, Foster, Kathleen C wrote:

Winnie,

I agree with your impulse to want to find a way to manage a situation
that seems to be growing increasingly out of control with every large
deadline we come to. We began seeing serious Grants.gov system issues
three days before the deadline, which seems to indicate that the system
upgrade Grants.gov implemented February 7th and 8th hasn't fixed the
problem in any way. It seems worse than ever. I like your suggestions,
but I'm not sure we'll be able to convince the agencies to see things
from our point of view. NIH has been very accommodating, but other
agencies less so.

I want to relate a particularly frustrating and alarming experience I
had with the Grants.gov help desk yesterday afternoon. We have been
experiencing the full range of bizarre error messages and submission
problems that everyone else has seen (just business as usual, at this
point), but yesterday afternoon we saw a new one: failure to recognize
the username and password of our AOR. I called Grants.gov to determine
if this was just another symptom of system slowness or if something was
really wrong with our AOR's credentials. The help desk representative
ran a report and determined that the username and credentials were fine,
and suggested that I reset the password. I did so, and we still received
the error.

I called back once more, just in hope of determining whether there was
actually a problem with the password or not. The help desk
representative really could't say, and advised me to ask our e-biz point
of contact to delete our AOR's registration completely and have us
re-register her under a new user name and password. When I pointed out
that it seemed a bit unrealistic to take that action just two days
before the NIH deadline, knowing it can take up to a day to process a
registration, she indicated that it was my only option. I asked her once
again if that was really necessary -- was there an actual problem that
would be solved by taking this action? She would say only that they were
recommending this action to everyone who was experiencing this error.

I sat in my office for a few minutes, trying to make sense of the
recommendation. We have been submitting successfully to G.g almost daily
for two years. Since our initial registration, we've never done anything
to change the username and password of our AOR. Was something really
wrong with it? Could the re-registration be processed in time to allow
us to submit the many other applications in queue by Friday? Would this
just cause more problems that it solved? Did I really want to contact
our E-Biz POC and ask him to drop everything and deal with this? While I
was thinking this over, my colleague came to my office door and said,
triumphantly, that he had just been able to submit two applications.

So, there was absolutely nothing wrong with our AOR's credentials at
all. I was advised by Grants.gov to take a course of action that would
have been incredibly disruptive and problematic, and might have
jeopardized our ability to submit for the rest of the week, for
absolutely no reason.  Why would the help desk rep give me such bad
advice? Why wasn't she able to determine that the error message was just
a false message, and that the real problem was the same system overload
that we've encountered at every deadline?

I think what bothers me most of all is that there seems to be a failure
to acknowledge what is now obvious to all of us: the Grants.gov system
is not able to handle the thousands of applications that hit the system
in advance of a major NIH deadline. The help desk continues to advise us
to try one pointless thing after another, when in reality, the only
actual solution is to submit at a moment when there isn't a bottleneck.
Why not save us all the time and energy and figure out a way to stagger
submission windows by area of the country, for example, so each region
has a designated time to submit?
I'm sure there are many other solutions as well, but until the problem
is acknowledged, it can't be solved.