Re: Trouble with Grants.gov Whitlock, Pam 03 Mar 2009 20:11 EST

AMEN!
Pamela B. Whitlock, Director
Office of Sponsored Programs
University of North Carolina at Wilmington
601 S. College Road
Wilmington, NC  28403-5973
V 910 962 3167
F 10 962 4011
________________________________
From: Research Administration List [xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of Wilma Ennenga [xxxxxx@NAU.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 7:05 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Trouble with Grants.gov

I’ve followed the traffic over the past days and weeks (years!) as the capacity issues a Grants.Gov have caused more and more of us to fail to submit on the first, second, third, fourth, ad infinitum  attempts until finally the proverbial waters part and we’re able to slip through. Out here in the west, Grants.Gov has advised us to try to submit after 7:00 p.m. and I suppose the west coast universities try after 8:00 p.m. I’ve gotten the same error messages as listed by other people, and found the same error messages disappear when the grants.gov system clears out. Last night (yippee) I submitted two proposals between 8:30 and 10:30 p.m. with the second one going through finally about two hours after the first, and the proposal numbering indicating that some 60 to 70 other proposals had been submitted in the interim. Since the proposals were due at 4:30 Wasington time today, there was no way we would have been successful this morning.

Because of the capacity issues at Grants.Gov, even if we (try to) submit our proposal days prior to the deadline we are likely to be cross deadlines with some other program and be unable to submit. THIS IS INSANE AND WE CAN’T KEEP DOING THIS!!! The collective cost to our universities is horrendous both in wasted time and in time not available for other projects.

So, it seems to me we need to develop new rules institutionally and within the community:

(1)    We will try no more than X (3?) number of times to submit one proposal

(2)    Upon failure, if due to capacity issues at Grants.Gov, we will write via e-mail to the Grants.Gov help desk and the Agency program officer, explaining the problem and requesting an extension to submit the proposal.

(3)    There will be a consensus among sponsors that exceptions will be provided in all these cases so that our proposals may be submitted.

(4)    If granted, we will try again to submit within regular business hours.  If we fail, fall back to (2) above.

Comments welcomed.

Winnie

P.S., I particularly appreciate that certain message from grants.gov that I’ve exceeded the cap of three times that I can try to enter my user name and password! Oh the irony!

Wilma G. (Winnie) Ennenga
Director, Office of Grant and Contract Services
Northern Arizona University
Applied Research and Development Bldg. #56, Suite 240
1298 South Knoles Drive
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-4130

Telephone: 928/523-8319