Re: Examples of Institutional Public Access Policies or SOPs Pamela T. Plotkin 18 Feb 2009 13:22 EST

Hi Anna,

Cornell does not have an institutional policy resulting from the NIH
Public Access Policy.

What we do have is as follows:

1. An informative website you should check out:
http://www.library.cornell.edu/scholarlycomm/nihmandate.html Our library
has been very helpful to our researchers, offering them guidance and
classes.

2. As part of the NIH requirement that a written assurance be kept on
file from each PI when submitting a proposal (unrelated to the NIH
Public Access Policy), we added a statement in the assurance as a
reminder to all PIs about the NIH Policy:

"I am aware of my responsibilities under the NIH Public Access Policy
which requires that any peer-reviewed journal articles, accepted for
publication on or after April 7, 2008, reporting research supported in
whole or in part by NIH funds, will be electronically submitted to the
National Library of Medicine’s PubMed Central archive no later than 12
months after publication
http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-08-033.html." To
see our entire NIH addendum, go to: http://www.osp.cornell.edu/forms/form10/

As an aside, we are seeing the NIH begin to "police" this policy. They
are reviewing proposals and progress reports carefully to determine if
citations of NIH-supported publications show evidence of submission to
PubMed Central. If there is no evidence, they are contacting the PIs
directly.

We plan to continue outreach efforts to help our NIH funded
investigators comply with the NIH policy.

Good luck!

Pam

Pamela Plotkin, Ph.D.
Deputy Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
Cornell University
373 Pine Tree Road
East Hill Plaza
Ithaca, NY 14850-2820