Re: grants.gov error VIRUSDETECT & Commons Jean C. Linder 10 Feb 2009 13:50 EST

I submitted a proposal yesterday that received the "Virusdetect"
error, even though my application had no attachment file names that
were too long or had spaces or special characters.  After 45 minutes
on the phone with a Grants.gov help desk person who had never before
heard of this error, I resubmitted the unchanged application.  The
Grants.gov "check application status" page listed the first
submission as "rejected with errors" and the second as
"queued".  Eventually the second submission went through without G.g
errors, and shortly appeared on the eRA Commons in the
"recent/pending submissions" list.

This morning, I got G.g emails indicating that the first,
"virusdetect" application had been validated and retrieved by the
sponsor.  In the Commons, this newly-validated application was now
the only one visible in the "recent/pending submissions" list, and I
thought that perhaps it had automatically replaced the duplicate
submission that had been submitted later with no G.g errors, but
validated earlier.  Just to be sure, I did a "general search" using
the PI's name, and there found only my second, error-free submission
which had moved from the "recent/pending submissions" list where it
had been yesterday.  The Commons help desk said I would have to
reject one of the duplicate applications.  Of course, I still have to
find out which version the PI is reviewing for imaging errors.

In conclusion, it appears that "Virusdetect" does not necessarily
indicate a problem with the attachments, but just another false error
message by Grants.gov, leading to duplicate submissions.

I am still puzzled about why both applications were not in the
Commons list of "recent/pending submissions", since they had both
been submitted only yesterday, and the window for rejecting them had
not yet passed.  Any clues on that one?  -Jean

At 09:55 AM 2/9/2009, you wrote:
>In the old system this was a clue that one of the attachments had a
>bad name, not a virus.  Too long or with an forbidden character.  We
>got this message this morning for a file  that had an attachment with
>a dash (-).    Maybe the next
>build will create error messages that explain the errors.  Or better,
>"check package for errors" finds all the errors :)
>Bob
>------------------------------
>Robert Beattie
>

>On Feb 9, 2009, at 12:27 PM, Dimmitt, Robert wrote:
>
>Hello all!!
>
>Has anyone seen this error message before and have any suggestions on
>how to fix it?
>
>Error:VIRUSDETECT
>
>We called G.g help desk and they suggested we re-name the attachment
>and run a virus scan on the package.  We did that and resubmitted and
>then resubmission came back with the same error.  Now we are running
>the scan on each attachment.
>
>Is our only option now to just rebuild the entire package?
>
>Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Rob Dimmitt
>Office of Research Administration
>Indiana University

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 Jean C. Linder
 Contract & Grant Officer
 Univ. of California, San Diego
 Ofc. of Contract & Grant Admin.     voice:  (858) 534-0244
 9500 Gilman Drive, 0934               fax:  (858) 534-0280
 La Jolla, CA 92093-0934         e-mail:  xxxxxx@ucsd.edu

 OVERNIGHT MAIL DELIVERY ADDRESS:
 10300 North Torrey Pines Road, Second Floor
 La Jolla, CA 92037

 OCGA Web Site:  http://ocga3.ucsd.edu