Re: Banner in Pre-Award Offices? Huard, Suzanne 06 Feb 2009 16:10 EST

All,

We  transitioned to Banner Finance/HR in 2002.  We reviewed the proposal tracking/research administration functionality of Banner during the implementation phase and found it inadequate.  We then evaluated and licensed InfoEd modules to manage the non-financial aspects of our business and are active uses of the Proposal Tracking, Human Subjects and Lab Animals modules.  We are in a prolonged implementation of InfoEd's proposal development module.   We have licenses to the tech transfer and environmental heath/safety modules but the staff who manage these operations are not within our office and they have thus far chosen not to implement the modules.

During our initial purchase of Banner, we contracted with the vendor (SCT at the time)  to create baseline feeds into the Banner grant tables.  The Banner feeds allow us to maintain proposal and award data in InfoEd and feed these data to the appropriate tables in Banner, avoiding duplicate entry.  (UNH created the InfoEd extract/processing logic that feeds the Banner process).   We use the InfoEd ESA table/process to keep our GENIUS records updated with data from Banner HR. (For this one, we created the Banner/HR extraction and process logic).

Good luck with your explorations.

Suzanne

Suzanne Huard
Mgr, Info Systems & Technology              Tel:  603-862-2005
Office of Sponsored Research                  Fax: 603-862-3564
University of New Hampshire
Durham, NH  03824                        xxxxxx@unh.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List on behalf of Office OF Research
Sent: Fri 2/6/2009 3:19 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Banner in Pre-Award Offices?

Tiffany:

Your scenario sounds so familiar!!!  We have exactly the same situation
and are attempting to use both, as a result of having difficulties in
the areas you mentioned as well as finding Banner is inept to track cost
sharing and other compliance related information such as Human subjects,
Animals and Bio & Radio-active hazardous materials etc.  I would very
much appreciate hearing how you resolve these issues as well.

Best,

Laura Murphy

Coordinator of Sponsored Programs

Office of Research and Sponsored Programs

University of South Dakota

605-677-6301