Re: Using One's Students as Human Subjects - Comments Please JCU Director of Sponsored Research 22 Jan 2009 12:13 EST

We allow this as long as the coercion factor is minimized.  We generally
suggest that consent forms requesting use of data collected during class
(papers, discussions, etc.) be distributed on the last day of class,
collected by someone other than the instructor, and that the instructor not
be given the consent forms until after grades are posted -- similar to the
process of collecting evaluations.  We also request that information be
distributed at the start of the semester informing students that their
professor wishes to use class room material for a research project and that
consent will be requested at the end of the semester.

For a professor who wants to collect non-classroom data (e.g., a separate
survey or questionnaire), we request that written consent not be collected
and that the survey instrument read "you are consenting to participant in
this study by completing and returning this questionnaire."  Someone other
than the instructor should distribute and collect the surveys and the
professor should not be present.  This way, the professor has no way of
knowing who participated and who didn't, as long as identifiers are limited
on the questionnaire.

Sounds like a general discussion is in order at your next board meeting to
form P&P on this issue and the majority of the quorum rules.

Cathy

Catherine T. Anson, MA, CRA, CIM
Director of Sponsored Research
John Carroll University, AD 250