Re: Yet another Adobe question Bob Beattie 20 Jan 2009 15:50 EST

Suzanne, is this true only between different 'First Number" Adobe
programs?  That is if you use  Reader 8.x.x  to open but you have
Professional 7.x.x it will do as you describe.

I just tried this on my non-Mac, a Dell to be precise.  I have Reader
8.1.2 and Professional 8.1.3.  By the way, Reader is for forms.

I opened with Reader, by right clicking on the Form and selecting
Reader.  I made some changes and saved.  At no time did the Pro 8.1.3
kick in to take over the Form.  The save dialog box read " Adobe PDF
Files (*.pdf).  I then opened it again in the same manner, and it
opened as a Reader file.

I suggest that people with non-Macs to not rely on preference
setting.  Save the file to your desktop and then open it with the
preferred program.

To Paula:  Grants.gov official position is that you can use 8.1.2,
8.1.3, or 9.0-- Reader or Pro.  However, you might consider what
Adobe says about 8.1.2.
"Critical vulnerabilities have been identified in Adobe Reader and
Acrobat 8.1.2 and earlier versions. These vulnerabilities would cause
the application to crash and could potentially allow an attacker to
take control of the affected system."

Adobe Reader 8.1.3 and 9 and Acrobat 8.1.3 and 9 are not vulnerable
to these issues. Adobe recommends users of Acrobat 8 and Adobe Reader
8 who can’t update to Adobe Reader 9 install the 8.1.3 update to
protect themselves from potential vulnerabilities.

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb08-19.html

Bob
------------------------------
Robert Beattie

On Jan 20, 2009, at 3:13 PM, Schier-Happell, Suzanne E wrote:

Hi, Jennifer.

If you’re modifying the form, then your computer will default to
Adobe Professional. The Reader program is not for forms, so even
though you might be able to open a PDF file with the 8.1.3 reader,
you would not be able to save a form using that same program. If you
want to upgrade your grants.gov forms capability, you’ll have to get
an updated version of Professional, not just an updated version of
Reader. Does that make sense?

Good luck!

Suzanne