Re: grants offices and development offices Tuttle, Paul 20 Jan 2009 10:10 EST

Good morning Bob,

The University of North Carolina created and published a document in 2000 spelling out the differences between sponsored programs and non-sponsored programs and how each should be handled.  This is the guidance document for the whole system.

You may see this memorandum at http://www.northcarolina.edu/docs/aa/research/sparc/Defining_SPs_Final.pdf.

Best,

Paul

P.S.  A distinction merely between "public" and "private" sources of funding is an incomplete and therefore inaccurate distinction.  The issues to be considered include (among others) funding sources, Federal/state/university laws and policies, purposes of funding programs, and types of agreements.  This document, "Defining Sponsored Programs," addresses those issues.

Paul Eduard Tuttle, Associate Director
Office of Sponsored Programs
Room C125A, Anderson Center
Winston-Salem State University
Winston-Salem, NC 27110
direct: (336) 750-3019
office: (336) 750-2410
fax: (336) 750-2412
email: xxxxxx@wssu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of Robert DeMartino
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:09 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] grants offices and development offices

Our office of Corporate and Foundation Relations is asking our administration to
now take charge of all grant proposals concerning sponsored programs and
research submitted to all private sources, including of course foundations and
corporations,  They have stated that they do not use any approval or sign-off
procedures in the submission of proposals.  We in the grants office have many
concerns about this request, but Corporate and Foundation Relations state
that this is standard procedure at other institutions, especially at private
institutions elsewhere.  We would appreciate hearing how grants proposals are
handled at your institution between the grants/sponsored programs office and
the development/corporate and foundation relations office.  If you would
prefer to contact me individually, you may contact me at xxxxxx@shu.edu.
Thank you very much!

Bob DeMartino
Grants and Research Services