Re: Informal Survey bonnie kwit 12 Dec 2008 13:12 EST

AND...it's often the most productive PI that comes in with his/her proposal
3 hours before deadline.

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of
Gene Stein
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 12:18 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Informal Survey

At one time or another we all would LIKE to have such a policy.  But for
most institutions, it's not realistic.  To implement it, you must answer
two questions:

First, will the highest level of your university or organization buy
into the plan?, and

Second, are you willing to turn away a proposal with a high probability
of success from your most productive PI when he/she brings you a
proposal that's two or three days late? (Or when he/she gives you the
proposal three hours before the deadline?)

If you aren't willing to turn away your most productive PI, the plan
won't work.  If you accept a late proposal from one PI, you'll have to
accept late proposals from all.

Gene Stein
San Diego State University Research Foundation