Re: Informal Survey Jennifer Donais 12 Dec 2008 12:39 EST

Our policy, at least with regards to G.g proposals, has been to say we
require 96 working hours with the completed PureEdge or Adobe package
(plus internal routing form).  If a PI cannot give us the 96 hours, we
ask for a dean's memo acknowledging the lateness - this gives us the
opportunity to "share" the risk that we may not get it through the
portal due to having insufficient time to do our work.  The deans
understand that this is the point of their memo - it works well because
we do not have to turn someone away, but we do explicitly disclaim any
responsibility for problems since we've not been given our required
time.  We have had two "hatless" PIs and in both cases, we were held
harmless and the PIs learned a painful lesson that I believe will
encourage them in the future to comply with the four day deadline.

Good luck!

Gene Stein wrote:
> At one time or another we all would LIKE to have such a policy.  But for
> most institutions, it's not realistic.  To implement it, you must answer
> two questions:
>
> First, will the highest level of your university or organization buy
> into the plan?, and
>
> Second, are you willing to turn away a proposal with a high probability
> of success from your most productive PI when he/she brings you a
> proposal that's two or three days late? (Or when he/she gives you the
> proposal three hours before the deadline?)
>
> If you aren't willing to turn away your most productive PI, the plan
> won't work.  If you accept a late proposal from one PI, you'll have to
> accept late proposals from all.
>
> Gene Stein
> San Diego State University Research Foundation

Jennifer Donais, CRA
Associate Director
Office of Grant & Contract Administration
Research Administration Building
70 Butterfield Terrace
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003
(413) 545-5888	FAX (413) 577-1595
http:://www.umass.edu/research/ogca

Notice: This email (including attachments)is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521, is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Please reply to the sender that you have received the message in error, and then delete it. Thank you.