Re: Informal Survey Rene Hearns 12 Dec 2008 12:33 EST

Charlie is absolutely right.  Unless it is always enforced, the policy will
be ignored.   To address who has actually enforced the policy, we have in a
"quasi" manner.

Enforcement of the policy will be determined by the goals and values of the
institution's leadership.  If our internal deadlines are not met, my office
has the authority not to submit the proposal should it does not meet the
established minimum standards for our institution.

This has occurred and what we did was to discuss the issue, first with the
leadership and then with the dean of the particular college.  This allowed
the dean to decide whether they wanted their name associated with the
proposal.  Our issues were poorly assembled proposal and major unapproved
voluntary costshare.  The college refused to endorse its submission.

It became the minimum threshold for my institution.  My office is here to
facilitate submissions not discourage them; for this reason, even with a
policy there has to be flexibility on its application whether we like it or
not.

rene

Rene Hearns, PhD (cand), MPA, CRA
Director, Office of Sponsored Programs and Research
University of Louisiana at Monroe
700 University Avenue LIB 211
Monroe, LA 71209-3925
T: 318.342.1039 f: 318.342.1479
xxxxxx@ulm.edu

Dissertation Topic:  Evaluating the impact of engaged learning on direct and
indirect citizen participation.