Re: Fringe Benefits on Overtime???? Marie Smith 11 Dec 2008 19:31 EST

We charge full f/b rate (31.5%) to salaries and a lower rate (11%) to overtime wages.  That is the same rate we charge to part time wages.

Marie

**********************************
Marie F. Smith, CRA
Grant Administrator/Compliance Officer
CARY INSTITUTE OF ECOSYSTEM STUDIES
2801 Sharon Turnpike, PO Box AB
Millbrook, NY 12545
Tel:  845-677-7600 x202
Fax: 845-677-5976
E-Mail: xxxxxx@caryinstitute.org
From: Research Administration List [xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of Ashley Vizurraga [xxxxxx@MLML.CALSTATE.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 6:59 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Fringe Benefits on Overtime????

Hi,
I'm curious if any of your research foundations or office of sponsored
programs have a separate fringe pool for overtime. I'm trying to pull
a comparison together of various research organizations that do this
and implement a different rate than their full fringe rate.

For example a full-time research employee working full time would have
a benefit rate of 36.7%, and their overtime rate would be 12.1%.

I've also heard of some organizations charging the same full fringe
rate to the overtime salary pool but only charging a percentage of
gross overtime salary (i.e. 23% of total overtime salary in pool is
only charged the 36.%).

Are any of you managing your overtime hours in this manner?

I could use your insight or suggestions with best practices.

Thank you.