Re: Cayuse vs. InfoEd. . Beryline Temples 01 Dec 2008 16:06 EST

Jessica,
We have been using Cayuse since September 2007.  Being a PUI with about $6M in awards annually and 5 staff members, we researched many systems.  We've been an InfoEd customer of SPIN & SMARTS for about 14 years and used their SPAS stand-alone system until this past year.  It would have been so comfortable just to continue using their system, BUT, the price was so out of our reach we couldn't even begin to consider them.  The same with Click Commerce.  And then our lives changed when we found out about Cayuse424.  This product has given us everything we needed and more at a price we could afford!  Our faculty love it!  Our IT people love it because we're not clogging up the e-mail system with large proposals!   The support is phenomenal!  There's always someone for us to talk to whenever we need help and they are always listening to our thoughts and suggestions.  It has cut down the time it takes to get our proposals approved tremendously.  If you would like a personal recommendation from any of our staff or faculty, please give me a call.
Good luck!
Beryline
_________________________
Beryline Temples
Sponsored Programs Administrator
Sponsored Programs Office
University of Central Arkansas
201 Donaghey Avenue
Torreyson Library 324
Conway, AR 72035-0001
phone:  (501) 450-3451
fax:  (501) 450-5339
xxxxxx@uca.edu
http://spo.uca.edu

>>> William Caskey <xxxxxx@SFBR.ORG> 11/26/2008 8:41 AM >>>
Now that the NIH deadlines are over, I have a chance to second the comments Johnna made below; and I won't re-iterate those. We are using the hosted solution and have had no access-related issues and the system has always been responsive. The PIs find proposal development to be straightforward and intuitive. The interface is so intuitive that little or no training is necessary. Budget calculations are very easy and we use the software to develop the budgets for programs that still require paper submissions. We  are still in the process of fully implementing the routing/approval functions but the tests have worked well. Validation of the proposal is also excellent. All warning and errors are identified and clicking on the warning/error message takes one right to the field needing attention. We've not had a proposal rejected because of an error after Cayuse424 has validated the proposal.

Each proposal in the system has a Summary which we use for routing.  We can enter the information for the non-electronic proposals and scan the relevant documents (up to 10 can be attached). I've created a Word form that is completed by the PI containing the additional information we need for our database and attach that as one of the documents. So, we'll use the routing system for all proposals; this is the portion we're still working on. Even during the recent problems at Grants.gov, we submitted all proposals on time with no problems (except for the delay in receiving confirmation of receipt by NIH Commons).

Probably the biggest difference between Cayuse424 and InfoEd is that Cayuse424 focuses on proposal development and submission whereas InfoEd, as noted by others, offers a modular approach to a rather complete research administration software system. Cayuse424 does have a data export feature which allows retrieval of the information for proposals as an XML data stream. I  can't attest to the support required for InfoEd but I can say that we have no dedicated IT personnel, not even a portion of an FTE, for Cayuse424. We simply haven't needed it...Bill

Bill Caskey, PhD
Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research
P.O. Box 760549
San Antonio, TX  78245-0549

Phone:  210.258.9544
Fax:  210.670.3335