Re: NSF salary limits Maggie Griscavage 17 Nov 2008 16:03 EST

I understand the change to mean that we've moved away from summer
salary only, and we are allowed to request reimbursement of two months
and apply it wherever it's appropriate during the year. Jean Feldman,
head of the NSF's policy office, has explained that we can still
request more than two months, when needed, but the proposal must
clearly justify the need, and the subsequent award would reflect the
additional time within the officially approved budget. The two,
now-floating, months are still subject to the in-aggregate over all
NSF awards rule, but you can ask for more.  Now... whether you'll get
it or not is going to be a question of available funds, and I think
it's unfair for a program officer to state that any more than two
months would get a "negative" review - the months requested should be
directly relative to the effort required, and any peer review panel
worth its salt would recognize that.

Maggie

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 7:55 AM, Nancy Dufau <xxxxxx@loyola.edu> wrote:
> As I wasn't able to attend NCURA this year, I wondered if the NSF sessions may have provided any guidance on salary request levels for faculty.  More specifically, recently we had been instructed by a NSF program officer not to request more than one-month of funding support for a PI on a grant as the reviews would be negative if we requested more, budgets were tight, and because the they had not funded anyone in this competition who had requested more than a month of support in the previous year.  We're getting ready to submit a proposal to a different directorate and I'm wondering if others have heard anything like this.
>
> Any insights will be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nancy

G. Maggie Griscavage, CRA
Director
Office of Grants & Contracts Administration
University of Alaska Fairbanks
907-474-7301