Re: cost-sharing question Vigiolto, Margaret 10 Nov 2008 10:19 EST

Hi Kristy,

In the situation you describe, there is an implicit commitment. I agree
with your logic. Drexel University requires a reasonable estimate of
effort to be recorded in the payroll distribution system.

Peg Vigiolto
Associate Vice Provost
Office of Research
Drexel University
3201 Arch Street, Suite 100
215.895.2311 phone
215.895.6699 fax
xxxxxx@drexel.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Kristy Ford
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 9:56 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] cost-sharing question

Hello all!  I could not find this detail in the regulations, unless I'm
missing something somewhere.  So, I am interested in knowing how your
institutions handle situations involving uncommitted effort.  Some
agencies still do not require that a PI commit a certain amount of
effort to a project, even though, as a PI, he/she is obviously going to
spend time on it.  Therefore, the proposal and budget does not request
reimbursement towards the PI salary/fringe and does not specify a
percentage of time committed to the project.  The budget also does not
include a portion of the PI salary/fringe in the match either.  Do you
require that the PI verify his/her time and effort (as an in-kind
contribution) on a project in this situation?  I'm inclined to say
"yes," because obviously he/she has to spend time on the project as the
PI.  Even if it isn't stated in the proposal or budget, time is
committed by virtue of being the PI.  The PI must, then, verify his/her
effort on this projec!
 t after it is awarded, how ever much it may truly be.  Am I correct in
my thinking?

I know this was discussed before, but I could not find the e-mails.
More than anything, I want to know that I am correct in my thinking
before telling people they cannot apply for more grants when they have
no time available for more projects.

Thanks!
Kristy

Kristy Ford