career ladders in research administration & clinical research administration Bob Beattie 17 Oct 2008 16:29 EST

Not me again, I am sending this for my northern colleague who is
having a problem with her system.   Reply to her.  She will then
summarize and post a report to the group.
Bob
=======================================
From: "Ann Smith" <xxxxxx@hc.msu.edu>
Date: October 16, 2008 10:34:41 PM GMT-04:00
To: <xxxxxx@hrinet.org>
Subject: career ladders in research administration & clinical
ressearch administration

A group of Research Administrators at Michigan State University are
working on a project involving restructuring our workforce to provide
clear-cut career ladders in research administration and clinical
research administration. We'd love to hear from those of you who have
systems that proceed from Research Administrator I (II, III, etc) or
Grant Accountant I to II to III, or similarly designated steps as
well as similar type classifications that support clinical research
like Clinical Research Coordinator I, II, III, Nurse Research
Coordinator I, II, III, etc.  Descriptions of your system, positions
descriptions or links to where these can be found, salary ranges,
years of experiences and comments on its strengths and weaknesses
would be especially welcome. Also do you utilize these
classifications at the Department, College or Central level or all of
them.

An additional question is whether your University requires people is
these classifications to be certified, such as the CRA.  If yes, is
the cost of securing the certification covered by your institutions
or reimbursed upon successful passing of the certification?  Is there
any incentives provided to become certified in your profession such
as the CRA or SOCRA or ACRP certifications for the clinical research
classifications.

We suspect the topic may be of interest to many on the list, but
please feel free to respond to me directly.

Ann M. Smith
Clinical Research Operations Administrator
Clinical and Translational Research Institute
218-A West Fee Hall
East Lansing, MI 48824
517-432-9899 Fax 517-432-5491
xxxxxx@msu.edu