Re: NSF proposal - full AY salary request Reynolds, Craig A. 06 Oct 2008 15:16 EST

Somewhat related, has anyone noted the significant change to the new 09-1 NSF GPG regarding salaries and wages?  I'm quoting here:

"In general, the Foundation will now limit salary compensation for senior project personnel to no more than two months of their regular salary in any one year. This limit includes salary compensation received from ALL NSF-funded grants [emphasis mine]. This change moves away from the concept of summer salary and allows for reimbursement of two months of salary per year whenever appropriate during the year."

Any thoughts on how to deal with this new limit?

Craig Reynolds
Central Michigan University

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List on behalf of Vicki Krell
Sent: Mon 10/6/2008 3:40 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] NSF proposal - full AY salary request

I've had this occur occasionally with postdoctoral research associates
who are expected to generate their full salaries from grant funds and
have no other teaching or "faculty" responsibilities. If your PI fully
justifies this in her budget justification, I don't see any reason why
she couldn't or shouldn't ask for full salary support from NSF on this
project.

Vicki