Re: Internal deadlines and processing times Ballard, Gamaliel L. 05 Aug 2008 17:34 EST

Charlie, as Peter mentioned earlier our office sends out a review and
submission schedule monthly. This gives us in Grants Management and
faculty campus wide an early indication of the workload for the month
and helps us set timelines for obtaining LOIs and schedule for
submitting proposals. We still get a few last minute surprise proposals
but we try to minimize this activity as much as possible.

Gamaliel L. Ballard (Beenie)
Director
Grants Management
Meharry Medical College
1005 Dr. D.B. Todd Jr. Blvd.
Nashville, TN 37208
Tel:  615 327 6703
Fax: 615 327 6716

Better early preparation than late hurry.

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On
Behalf Of Nonn, Lidia
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 4:38 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Internal deadlines and processing times

Charlie,

As the pre-award office, we've had to resort the first come, first serve
policy a few times and its worked well, mostly. We try to coordinate
campus pre-submission reviews when possible as an effort to save
everyone time and potential headaches.

The 'punishment' for giving me a proposal after the internal campus
deadline (usually the day its due to the sponsor) and we're truly too
swamped to route, is that the faculty must route the paperwork
themselves and acquire all needed signatures. I've rarely needed to
enforce this policy. If your pre-award office decides to relinquish this
control, be careful as its come back to bite us, only once, when the
PI's clerical staff (who has gone thru this before) assumed the person
who last signed off would also make copies and mail out the proposal, in
our case the Provost - they missed the sponsor's deadline.

In the end they apologize, send us their thanks but unfortunately forget
the pain the next time they submit a proposal, late, as usual.
Lidia

Lidia Nonn, Director
Institute for Research
University of Wisconsin - Green Bay
2420 Nicolet Drive WH 303A
Green Bay, WI 54311-7001
920.465.2565 or  920.465.2784 (Office)
920.465.2043 (Fax) xxxxxx@uwgb.edu   http://www.uwgb.edu/research
The ultimate responsibility of a pilot is to fulfill
 the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound
 ancestors who could only stare skyward . . .  and wish.

intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are
not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying,
information is strictly prohibited.