Re: Internal deadlines and processing times Donahue, Sherie (LLU) 05 Aug 2008 14:17 EST

At LLU, we request that the PIs submit the final proposal (that has already received department and school approval) to the central office 5 working days before the deadline.  (As long as the PI gives us all pieces of the proposal package and a near final draft of the narrative, we allow them to continue to refine/edit the proposal until the day of the submission.) The 5 days allows final review of the application package in the central office and time for the PI to make any modifications needed before submission. However, as is the case at other institutions, very few PIs meet our internal deadline and we do our best to make sure all of the grants are submitted on time.

Our institution's way of enforcing this deadline is to tell the PIs that if they meet our internal deadline, we will guarantee that their grant will be submitted. However, if they do not meet our internal deadline, grants are taken on a first come, first served basis and may or may not be processed in time. (It also helps to tell a few horror stories of near electronic submission misses of those that chose to bring their proposal to us at the last minute.)

For anyone interested, I posted below part of a generic email I send out to PIs who are planning to submit a grant, listing the approval process and deadlines.

"The following are the deadlines to facilitate a timely review:

1.	Submit the budget and justification section to Sponsored Projects Management for review as soon as it is completed, but no later than two weeks before the submission deadline.
2.	When the application is complete, obtain sign-off by the department chair/center director, dean and any other approval required by the employing entity or entities. For example, budget review by the school business manager may be required before sign-off by a dean.
3.	Submit the application and completed transmittal form to the Office of Sponsored Research, no later than 5 working days before the application deadline.
4.	We will try to accommodate true emergencies, but cannot guarantee that late submissions will be approved before the deadline."

 Sherie Donahue

Loma Linda University

________________________________

From: Research Administration List on behalf of Schier-Happell, Suzanne E
Sent: Tue 8/5/2008 11:46 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Internal deadlines and processing times

What a timely discussion!

Our office just narrowly avoided a true fiasco last week with a couple
of ACS proposals that we didn't have final drafts of until the day
before they were due, and by that time it was nearly impossible to get
the needed signatures (especially during the summer when people are on
vacation).

That has prompted our office to begin a discussion about enacting an
internal deadline like the ones being discussed here. We currently have
no stated policy regarding how far in advance PI's need to get their
proposals to us, which means that we often (usually?) receive them at
the eleventh hour.

We realize that such a deadline is fully unenforceable, and of course we
would never refuse to assist anyone who has something to submit, no
matter how late it arrives in our office. However, putting an official
deadline out there would clearly show PI's that submitting at the last
minute is at their own risk, and that our ability to get the required
signatures is not guaranteed if they come in after the internal
deadline.

Right now there is no such understanding, and it puts a lot of pressure
on us from multiple directions--from the PI, who expects us to get his
or her proposal submitted successfully, and from the school officials
whose signatures are needed, who have busy schedules and don't always
appreciate our asking them to drop everything to review and sign a
proposal at the last minute.

If only the deadline fairy would come and grant us one wish--to make
everyone submit their proposals chronically early!

But yes, five days sounds great to me. I think that may be a policy we
adopt before the start of the new school year.

Best regards,
Suzanne Happell
Assistant Director of Sponsored Programs
Otterbein College