Re: PI's and Co-PI's Terri Hall 04 Jul 2008 08:21 EST

Ruth,
In the past, our procedure was to allow only our university personnel on the
NSF
cover sheet. However, NSF requirements for certain programs, and the NIH
moving to
multiple-PI projects caused us to revise that for consistency's sake.

It primarily had to do with concerns over the power some sponsors allows a
co-PI role
- specifically with the budget - and we weren't prepared to give a co-PI
from another
institution spending power beyond his/her subaward budget. There may have
been other
concerns as well, but right now only this one jumps to mind. Hope it helps.
Terri

Terri M. Hall, CRA
Director, Electronic Research Administration
Office of Research
University of Notre Dame
(574) 631-7378
xxxxxx@nd.edu