Re: Indirects Joseph D. Rondinelli 01 Jul 2008 11:11 EST

We are a State medical university that receives a fixed percentage of
university indirects back to the department which are deposited into a
single account.  The spending rules for the use of such funds are the same
as for spending any state funds.  As department administrator, I review and
approve all expenditures from this department overhead account.  Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of
Kristy Ford
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 11:23 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Indirects

We have been discussing how to handle indirects (F&A) that we receive and
cannot quite come to an agreement.  My institution is a medical center
affiliated with a university and has an approved federal rate.  Some want to
distribute the indirects to the departments, sponsored programs, research
institute, etc., and others want all of the indirects to go into one large
revenue account to offset the hospital's cost of conducting research.  What
do some of your institutions that may be similar to mine do with your
indirects?

Also, are you tracking how your indirects are spent?  I know that some
institutions distribute indirects to a number of departments, who can then
spend those funds from it's own budget.  However, we received a
recommendation from our auditor to simply have all indirects go into a
revenue account, in which you do not actually spend those funds and
therefore do not have to account for them.

Thanks!
Kristy

Kristy Ford
Grant Management Manager