Re: Increases in F&A Rates Kristy Ford 30 Jun 2008 16:14 EST

I see what you're saying.  Because his negotiated rate increase is
already approved, each rate can be applied at that time during the award
period.  And if the negotiated rate increase was approved during the
award period, it could not be applied.  That step increase had to have
already been approved at the time of the award.  Makes sense.

Kristy Ford
Grant Management Manager
Memorial University Medical Center
Savannah, GA  31404
(912)350-6379

>>> Jeffrey Silber <xxxxxx@CORNELL.EDU> 6/30/2008 4:54 PM >>>
It is the rate agreement (literally "rates" as in
"Federal agencies shall use the negotiated rates
for F&A costs in effect at the time of the
initial award throughout the life of the
sponsored agreement") so you'll get to move up and then lock in at
49.5%.

in effect At 04:19 PM 6/30/2008, Lawrence Waxler wrote:
>So, here’s the scenario.
>
>We just negotiated a new F&A Research Rate (a.k.a. indirect cost rate
>for those of you who have been in the business for a while) that has
>step increases in the research rate:  48.5% from July 1, 2007 through
>June 30, 2008 (this cleans-up a provisional period rate), 49.0% from
>July 1, 2008 through June 30, 2010, and then to 49.5% from July 1,
2010
>through June 30, 201.
>
>I know that award F&A rates are supposed to be tied to the negotiated
>rate of the period in which they are awarded, but, is that literally
the
>exact period or would that be the period of the overall multi-year
rate
>agreement. That is, if we receive a multi-year award tomorrow (happy
new
>year) would we charge 49.0% for the entire award, or could we charge
our
>increasing rate amounts over the term of the award since they are
known
>now and fall within the same Rate Agreement?
>
>As a corollary, if we can charge the higher/increasing rates, would
>they follow the period of each rate (our fiscal year) or each project
>year?
>

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Larry Waxler, Director
>Office of Sponsored Programs