Re: E-Verify Barbara Gray 16 Jun 2008 07:20 EST

We have already had to implement compliance certification in Georgia because
of a new state procurement regulation.  (If we get a contract from a state
agency, regardless of source of funding, we are now required to certify
compliance with federal immigration law and sign an affidavit to that
effect.)  Our human resources office is responsible for compliance.  HR
personnel have registered our institution and completed the DHS training and
are responsible for checking the immigration/citizenship status of new
employees.  (Hint:  Your EEV institution number is your FEIN...it took us
awhile to figure that out.)

Ms. Barbara H. Gray
Director of Grants & Contracts
Valdosta State University
1500 North Patterson Street
Valdosta, GA  31698-0429

Telephone:  229-333-7837
Fax:  229-245-3853
Email:  xxxxxx@valdosta.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of
Cataneo, Kathy
Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2008 7:21 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] E-Verify

Dear Colleagues,

I'd appreciate some input about amended Executive Order 12989, issued
6/9/08.  How do you expect to implement a compliance mechanism at your
institutions?  Thanks for your advice.  Kathy Cataneo, University of New
Hampshire.

Subject: Institutions entering into federal-government contracts will be
required to use the DHS's E-Verify system

All colleges and universities entering into federal-government contracts
will be required to use the Department of Homeland Security's E-Verify
system to establish the immigration status of newly hired employees and
all employees working on such contracts, under an executive order signed
this week by President Bush.  For the President's Executive Order see:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2008/06/20080609-2.html

A proposed rule, published on Thursday in the Federal Register, states
that all employees of federal contractors who are newly hired or who are
directly engaged in work on those contracts would need to have their
work eligibility checked through E-Verify. The rule applies to contracts
of more than $3,000 with work performed within the United States,
including those with colleges and universities.