Re: Combined Effort on K02 and R01 Charlie Hathaway 13 Jun 2008 10:06 EST

I have never dealt with this on a K02...but for mentored Ks, there is
always the question of how effort is interpreted given that Ks do not fund
research but career development.  K02 are basically salary support, right?
 My feeling has been that the K effort can be an umbrella under which true
research effort may be subsumed.  You just need to reduce salary on the R.

BUT...try to get the opinion and preference of the specific institute.
Some have VERY specific ideas of how to handle this:
[from PA-06-527]  "The participating NIH Institutes and Centers (ICs) have
distinctive guidelines, requirements, salary and research support levels
provided under the auspices of this funding opportunity announcement..."

Charlie

> One of our PIs is insistent that he can apply for a K02 award with 12
calendar months of effort with his current effort remaining at 6
calendar months on a R01.  He is also applying for a competitive renewal
of the current R01 still listing 6 calender months of effort.  The total
effort would be 18 calendar months.

> It is my understand that effort cannot exceed 12 calendar months.  Also,
I have not found anything to substantiate his assertion.