Re: HELP - Adobe submission problems Dianne Sheridan 11 Jun 2008 16:22 EST

Join the crowd. It is not just you. I have been trying to submit using
standard method and the drag & drop for over 3 hours now. Busy is an
understatement. Keep trying & good luck!
Dianne

Dianne Sheridan
Interim Coordinator Sponsored Research & Grants
Southern Utah University
351 W. University Blvd  AD 304C
Cedar City, UT 84720

Ph 435 865 8175
Fax 435 586 5475
xxxxxx@suu.edu

>>> Kellie Dyslin <xxxxxx@WPO.CSO.NIU.EDU> 6/11/2008 2:41 PM >>>
All,
We're submitting our first Adobe package here at NIU, for the HUD
Early
Doctoral Research Grant Program. I upgraded to Adobe Pro 8, made sure
only Reader 8.1.2 was installed, and only opened the package in Reader
8.1.2. I've tried submitting 3 times now (maybe four, I'm losing count
along with my mind), and am having the same problem Beverly had below.
called G.G. support, and after waiting 10+ minutes, the rep told me to
"keep trying, they are very busy today." I tried Beverly's method, and
got an error message that I tried opening the package with a
non-supported version of Adobe.

This grant must be submitted and validated by tomorrow by midnight, so
I am VERY nervous on behalf of the PI. Any suggestions?

>>> "Robertson, Beverly" <xxxxxx@KENT.EDU> 3/12/2008 3:08 PM >>>

All –
Being an ‘ask forgiveness, not permission’ kinda gal, I went ahead
and
submitted my application after posting my questions. I had a few
days’
grace period anyway before the deadline, and I wanted to see what
would
happen.
Here’s what happened:
Upon signing and submitting the application a message appeared at the
top of the package to the effect that it was processing, and to wait
for
a confirmation. Nothing else happened after that. No confirmation, no
errors, nothing. I closed the package after about 40 minutes and tried
again with the same result. I called grants.gov and after some basic
checking of software, settings, etc., was advised to move the
application package to the desktop, open Internet Explorer in
‘reduced’
mode (not minimized, but a smaller window so the desktop was visible),
then ‘drag & drop’ the application package into IE. The g.g
support
person indicated this can speed up the submission if the system is
slow
(who knew?). The first attempt with this strategy resulted in a
‘failed
submission –try again later’ response. Upon my g.g tech person’s
advice
I rebooted, did the drag & drop procedure again, and voila –
successful
submission followed by a successful validation.
The morals to this story are:Apparently it makes no difference what
version of Adobe it says the application package is when you download
it, as long as you consistently open and work in it with the correct
version of Reader. Be careful even when opening Reader – it may open
Professional as a default if you’ve had Professional open prior.
I’ve
learned to open, verify it’s the correct version and if not, close
and
try again. That usually works. I’ve also learned to ask our IT staff
upgrade our Professional to 8. When in doubt, drag and drop (which
I’ll
probably remember as ‘drop and roll’ the next time I submit an
Adobe
package).

Thanks again!

Beverly Robertson